Sunday, July 21, 2013

Fashion Scarf - Free Pattern (Stash Buster Project)

One of the projects I have been working on (while Small T was away at Nursing Camp) was a black scarf/shawl that she could wear with the point resting on her chest and then wrapped around her neck.  I chose to do this in black because she doesn't have a black one in her closet.  It was also nice that I was using a skein of yarn out of my stash, making this a Stash Buster Project.  I've included a few photos below of the scarf.
Here is Small T modeling the scarf.  See seems to like it if you go by her smile.  :)
 Last Fall/Winter, she started wearing scarves all the time, and I think she looks good in them.
Here's the scarf...folded up.  Can you see the beads along the edge?
Here's the scarf spread out.  It's pretty good sized.  I was afraid that I would either get it too big or too small.  This scarf can be easily adjusted to fit your needs by just adding or deleting rows.
Small T helped me choose the beads.  I was looking for a metallic bead but hoping to use a slate gray or black.  She suggested these instead.
And here's the detail of where I sewed the bead at each row juncture.
It's hard to describe it on paper, and by showing you a photo, you know exactly where I put the beads.

Fashion Scarf - Free Pattern

1 skein of Caron's Simply Soft yarn (I used black)
size H hook
yarn needle for weaving in ends
1 bag of metallic beads or any beads you choose
sewing needle with a small enough eye to fit through the bead hole
thread that matches your yarn color

ch 11.  join to form a ring.
1- ch 8, sk 2 sts, sl st in next st, ch 5, sk 2 sts, dc in next st.  turn.
2-  ch 8, sk 2 sts, sl st in next st, ch 5, sk 4 sts, sl st in next st, ch 5, sk 2 sts, dc in next st.  turn.
3- ch 8, sk 2 sts, sl st in next st, *ch 5, sk 4 sts, sl st in next st; repeat from * across to end of row, ending with a ch 5, sk 2 sts, dc in next st. turn.
4 through 55- repeat row 3.
at the end of row 55, fasten off.  weave in ends. 
NOTE:  I stopped at 55 rows.  You can work more or less rows, depending on the size of scarf that you want.

To add the beads, thread a sewing needle with matching yarn and sew a bead at the juncture of each row along the edge of the scarf.  I did not sew each bead individually.  I carried my thread through the yarn to the next place to add a bead, making sure not to pull the thread too tight.  I put the beads along the two side edges but not across the top of the scarf so they wouldn't be scratchy along the neck.

If you have any questions with this pattern, please feel free to ask. 
Happy crocheting!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is such cute scarf!!! Thanks for sharing the pattern. I will have to try it...

    ReplyDelete