Thursday, April 25, 2013

10 Things You Didn't Know About Me

Every now and then, I'll see where someone has shared things about themselves that most people don't know about.  I felt like today was a good day to do this on my blog.  Here are 10 things that most people don't know about me:

1.  I'm not an affectionate person.  I have to work at being affectionate.  I am almost never the first to make the move towards a hug or kiss.  I don't know why I'm this way.

2.  I do not cry.  In the last 20 years, I've cried less than half a dozen times.  I think this is because I was raised to be a "strong woman" and it's warped my definition of what "strong" means when you are a woman.

3.  I'm a homebody.  I don't like being out and about all the time.  Weird, right?  We're always out and about with all the activities that the kids are involved in and the organizations that I volunteer with and for.

4.  I do not like to cook.  Nope.  I don't.  I hate it.  The meals I do cook are either simple, fast, or in a crock pot.

5.  I'm the first person to avoid housework and my house shows it.  I was the oldest one at home (after the two older kids got married) so I was the one to "chore" instead of helping to keep house.  Yep, my dad was a farmer as well as a businessman.

6.  My dad is the one that taught me to cook.  He was an adventurous cook too.  Everything was made from scratch.

7.  I have really bad allergies that end me up in the ER all the time and I hate having these.  It's not uncommon to end up in the ER several times in a week.  I haven't had hives in almost 2 years but I have anaphylactic reactions 98% of the time.  With the food allergies, I'm almost scared to eat anything.

8.  I love painting my toenails WILD colors with decals in the Summer!!!  But I don't like to paint my fingernails with anything other than clear or clear with sparkles or a very light color that isn't noticeable.

9.  My favorite movie is The Thirteenth Warrior.  Right up there with it is the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I also enjoy the Harry Potter movies.

10.  I cannot sit down to watch TV without working on a crochet or knitting project.  I also work on something while traveling in a vehicle.  It's an obsession with me.

and a bonus....
11.  I have a very thick skin and I am the first to understand about teenagers saying things that they don't really mean and it being a thing they do to either protect themselves or make others feel worse than they do, but I am deeply hurt by some of the things that my kids say to me, even though I never tell them this.  I know they love me, but I honestly feel that I am not a good parent.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing from a deep place. It can't have been easy. There are many points where you and I are much the same. As far as being a good parent, if they know you love them that goes a long way and covers a multitude of sins. Don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jen! I try not to be, but sometimes, you just think about it. :) Have a good day!

      Delete