Sunday, November 25, 2012

Recipe - Skillet Jam

You know, jellies and jams are quite expensive and seldom on sale in my local grocery store.  I came across a recipe that makes about 2 cups of jam and that's just the right amount for my household as we don't eat a lot of it, but like to have some in the refrigerator just in case we want it.  I'm going to drop by the grocery store this afternoon and check on prices for the ingredients and also check the jelly and jam prices to see which is more economical.  However, fresh jam would be a definite "treat" to have around and you could change up the flavor pretty fast without needing to wait until the whole jar of store bought jam is gone.

Skillet Jam
1 pint blueberries, mashed; OR 2 1/4 cups of raspberries; OR 1 lb. ripe peaches, peeled and mashed
2 Tbsp. powdered fruit pectin
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice

1.  In a large skillet, heat fruit and pectin over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and bubbly.  Stir in sugar and lemon juice; heat to boiling.  Boil 1 minute, stirring; remove from heat.

2.  Carefully pour hot jam into clean half-pint jars (about 3) with tight-fitting lids.  Cover and refrigerate until jam is set and cold, about 4 hours.

Makes about 2 cups.

Edited to add:
I did some research at the local grocery store.
Jars of jam are selling for:
Peach 18 oz. $2.89
Strawberry 32 oz. $4.19
Apricot 18 oz. $3.89
Blackberry 12 oz. $3.39
Raspberry 12 oz. $3.69

If I were to make the above recipe, prices are as follows:
Frozen Peaches or Strawberries 16 oz. $3.09
Powdered Pectin $2.69 (I would get 4 uses out of this box) so price per use would be 68 cents
Sugar 4lb. bag normal price is $3.29 (I would get 8 or 9 uses out of this bag) so price per use would be 42 cents for each use based on 8 uses
Lemon Juice 4 oz. for $1.19 (I would get 12 uses) so price per use would be 10 cents
This makes the cost per batch $4.29.  
2 cups in a batch is approx. 16 oz so depending on what flavor (for Blackberry it would work out to be $4.52 for 16 oz. if bought from the store) I would save approx. 23 cents by making my own jam.  If I could purchase the necessary items on sale (such as sugar) I could reap more savings.  Since I always buy my sugar on sale (this week it's $1.89 per 4 lb. bag) I could see that making my own would pay off unless there was a big sale on jams and jellies and I was able to stock up then.

No comments:

Post a Comment