Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Skater Beanies

For Christmas 2010, I made each and every niece and nephew plus my kids, a skater beanie. My youngest nephew (actually my great-nephew) was just around 7 months old at the time. He has worn his skater beanie practically every single cool day since then. As he's now around 19 months old, his mom requested a couple of more beanies just a fraction bigger. They will be here next week sometime to visit (they live in South Dakota) so I've sat myself down and got him a couple of new beanies made.
I'm using the same pattern I always use http://chiescrochetandknitting.blogspot.com/2005/11/very-simple-skateboarder-beanie.html . This is a fantastic pattern and is easily adapted to fit different sized heads. For this year's beanie, I have adjusted the pattern as follows to fit my nephew. I followed the pattern to row 13, then I went straight to row 18. I did a total of 39 rows, with the last row being a coordinating color. I also switched my hook sizes to an H instead of using a G. As always, I'm using Caron's Simply Soft yarn for this project. The two beanies are made with the colors Grey Heather, White and Dark Country Blue.
If you've never used this pattern, you should give it a go. It's an easy pattern to follow and works up nicely and quickly. The beanies are very wearable and don't itch at all. That's important with kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment