Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Book Nook

Ok....I haven't given any updates lately on what I've been reading. So I will try to catch everyone up with one post. Hopefully. I dearly love to read so the list could get quite lengthy. I won't be posting the correct order in which I read them as I don't remember it. LOL So...here are my latest reading adventures.

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr - This is the first book in a series. I've got three of the books so far but have only read this one. It was pretty good. It's about fairies, people who can see fairies, etc.. The story line is a bit "strange" but overall, still worth the read. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 7.

Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner - I ordered this book for my daughter through Scholastic (at school). Honestly, this book was pretty good. It's about magic, in general. Not as in casting spells, etc., but as in having magical talents such as shape shifting, calling plants, etc.. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give this an 8.

Fablehaven "Secrets of the Drangon Sanctuary" by Brandon Mull - This is the fourth book in the Fablehaven series. I have to admit that I'm biased as I LOVE these books. They are about magical preserves in the human world where all types of creatures (out of the childhood fables) exist. There are lots of twists and turns to the story line and I find myself throughly engrossed when reading these books. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this book at a 9. These books are found in the older children's section or young adult section in the bookstores.

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz - This is the first book in the series. I have three of the books. My daughter is reading the series as well right now, so I'm waiting to read book 2. These books are about vampires but with a thoroughly different take on the whole idea. These are geared towards teen readers. I enjoyed the book and I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Sweep by Cate Tiernan - This book is actually three books in one. This is out of a series of 14 or 15 books. I love these books! I was throughly engrossed and can't wait to read some more of the stories in the series. I will have to add them to my shopping list for my next trip to the book store. This book includes the stories "Book of Shadows", "The Coven", and "Blood Witch". Obviously, it's about witches. I give this book a score of 8 out of 10.

The Vampire's Assistant and other tales from the Cirque de Freak by Darren Shan - This is a collection of three books in one. The books are "A Living Nightmare", "The Vampire's Assistant", and "Tunnels of Blood". I enjoyed these books and I couldn't wait to read it after seeing the movie "The Vampire's Assistant". I enjoyed the movie, so I figured I would probably love the books. I do. However, the book is vastly different than the movie. So...anyone (kids/teens) that are reading this book for AR at school, be advised that you will not pass the test if you didn't actually read the book. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this book an 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment