Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Tried and True Family Recipe

It's been awhile since I've made the recipe that I'm going to share later in the post. It's one that I made a lot while the kids were little and money was tight. My husband asked me this morning if I had any ideas about dinner tonight and after thinking about what we had in the freezers, I said we would have my "2 Cup Stir Fry" using chicken. The kids love this recipe regardless of what variation I make of it and today was no exception. There are no leftovers for tomorrow. It's relatively inexpensive to make and it makes a good size quantity so there's usually leftovers. So, here is the recipe:

"2 Cup Stir Fry"

2 skinless, boneless chicken breast
2 Tbsp. oil
2 c. frozen vegetables (I use peas with the chicken)
2 pkg. ramen noodles (I use chicken flavor since I'm using chicken for the meat)
2 c. cooked rice
2 c. water
2 tsp. lemon juice (optional)
2 tsp. chopped garlic (optional)

Cut the chicken into strips or pieces.
In a large skillet, stir fry the chicken in the oil.
Add the vegetables, the ramen noodles (minus the seasoning packets), and the 2 c. water.
Sprinkle the lemon juice and the garlic on top.
Cover with a lid and cook over low - medium heat until the noodles are done and the peas are cooked, stirring occasionally.
Add the ramen noodle seasoning packets to the hot cooked rice. Mix well.
Add the rice mixture to the skillet mixture, stirring well.

Variations - use any kind of meat, vegetable and ramen noodles that you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment